These cookies were a hit at a local get-together.
They have 0.5 grams of carbohydrate per cookie, all of which comes from the lemon juice. This makes them an ideal dessert for those trying to limit sugar and other fast-digesting carbohydrates. Each cookie also has 5 grams of protein.
- 1.5 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup sweetener (I used Monkfruit sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 egg
- 4 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350
- Grease a cookie sheet (I used coconut oil)
- Beat all ingredients together in a large bowl
- Refrigerate for 5 to 10 minutes so the dough is not too sticky to roll in your hands
- Roll into 1-inch balls
- Bake for 14 minutes. Bottoms and edges will be brown.
Makes about 20 cookies. Recipe can be doubled or quadrupled if you have a large gathering.
Instead of lemon, use orange juice and orange zest and add dried cranberries, as shown below: